Absolutely scrumptious and very high in protein. These recipes are just the thing for a mum to be.
Adzuki Beans With Onions, Carrots & Ginger
225g of adzuki beans
1 piece kombu seaweed
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, peeled and chopped
2 carrots, scrubbed and coarsely grated
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
2 whole garlic cloves peeled
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Pre-soak the adzuki beans and kombu overnight.
- Cook the beans and kombu for 40-50 minutes until tender. Heat oil in large saucepan and sauté the onion until soft.
- Add carrots, ginger and garlic and sauté for a further 5 minutes.
- Drain the adzuki beans of excess water, and add them to the onion mixture.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve with hot crusty bread.
Marinated Chick Peas With Chilli, Lemon & Vietnamese Mint
This is a gorgeous, fresh, zangy dish especially when served with grilled fish. It’s perfect slightly mashed and smeared over toasted bread as a snack.
1 handful of fresh Vietnamese mint
340g chickpeas, soaked overnight
1 large potato, peeled
3 cloves garlic, peeled
2 tablespoons lemon juice
5 tablespoons olive oil
1 level teaspoon salt
1 level teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 medium chillies, halved, de-seeded and finely chopped
- Combine lemon juice, olive oil, salt and freshly ground black pepper into a dressing.
- Rinse soaked beans, add whole potato and garlic, and cover with water. Bring to the boil, place lid on and simmer gently for 1½ hours or until tender.
- Once chickpeas are cooked discard the potato and garlic, and drain. While still hot, toss through dressing, the chillies and Vietnamese mint.
Serves 6. Magnificently!