Many women say childbirth is the most physical thing they have ever done. Most women are affected by hormonal, nutritional as well as structural imbalances after childbirth yet have little time to contain themselves as the focus is on the new baby. This also coincides with the most sleep-deprived period of parenthood. For first time mothers this is the biggest shock of all. Preparing as much as you can in advance will make it easier. It is important to take time for yourself and ask for help if needed.
- A combination of rose and jasmine aromatherapy essential oils will help post partum recovery. Jasmine will encourage contraction of the uterus and rose will soothe muscle trauma and balance the hormones. Both are safe for use while breastfeeding.
- Essential oil of chammomile has anti-inflammatory properties. Perfect for post partum recovery, it is useful for stress, headaches, insomnia and aching muscles. It is safe to use while breastfeeding.
- Lavender is useful as a compress for episiotomy, tears or Caesarean scarring.
- Use Hornbeam Bach Flower Remedy to renew mental and physical vigour.
- Use Elm Bach Flower Remedy when feeling overwhelmed by responsibility and exhaustion.
- Calendula tincture can be applied to any damaged tissue caused by birth.
- Take the homeopathic remedy arnica for bruising, tearing and general healing.
- Self-help acupressure point Bladder 23, Conception Vessel 6.