Some known and not-so-well known questions to test yourself and others…
So you think you may know a bit about pregnancy. Test yourself, or one of your mates, out on this short quiz. If you get them all right then we reckon you’re probably close to the perfect birthing partner. Once you’ve completed the quiz, refer to our answer sheet to check your answers.
What is recommended for pregnant women to help prevent birth defects in a baby?
- To take a test
- Take folic acid and a B vitamin
- Avoid Jacuzzis
- There is nothing that can be done
What mineral is most likely lacking if a pregnant woman experiences high blood-pressure?
Which herbal tea is said to promote fertility, strengthen a woman’s reproductive system and make labour faster and easier?
- Chammomile tea
- Raspberry Leaf tea
- Peppermint Tea
- Earl Grey Tea
A pregnant woman should never diet.
What is colostrum?
- Another name for a bizarre craving women sometimes have during pregnancy
- The first milk excreted from breasts
- The term given to wind pains suffered during pregnancy
- The substance covering the baby when it’s born
What is Braxton Hicks?
- The main maternity hospital in Melbourne
- The name of the surgeon who invented forceps
- The term given to practice labour contractions
- The position women find most comfortable for sleeping during pregnancy.
What does Couvades mean?
- Constipation during pregnancy
- A hormonal influx
- A rare depression
- A psychosomatic condition where men take on symptoms of pregnancy
The embryo officially becomes a foetus in week 10.
What is linea nigra?
- An Italian birthing ritual
- Irregular white patches that form on the face
- A dark line which divides the stomach in half
- Pregnancy cellulite
What is the lochia?
- The discharge of blood, mucus and tissue from the uterus following childbirth
- A special medical device for back support
- A Latin word for childbirth
- A lower back pain