Check out these tasty treats.
Spiced Baked Apple With Almonds & Raisons
A rather scrumptious dessert.
4 tablespoons raisons
4 tablespoons almonds
- Pre-heat oven to 200°C.
- Score apples around the middle, then scoop out the core. Fill the cavity with mixed raisons and flaked chopped almonds. Stick 3-4 cloves in each apple.
- Bake until golden and soft (approx 30-40 minutes) Serve hot with natural yoghurt.
These muffins are delicious and dramatic. These muffins take on a deep purple hue from the berries when made with any type of flour and when buckwheat flour is used they also become dark and dense. They aren’t too sweet so can be enjoyed accompanied by all jams and fruit preserves.
Oil or paper liners for muffin tins
1 cup buckwheat or oat flour
1 cup white four
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup sugar
2 tablespoons honey
1 cup soymilk
1/2 cup of canola oil or butter
1 beaten free-range egg
1/2 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease muffin tins or line with paper
- Mix dry ingredients together in a large bowl
- In another bowl mix honey, soymilk, oil and egg
- Lightly combine the wet and dry ingredients and fold in blueberries
- Fill each muffin cup up to the top and bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Makes 12 muffin
Although not overly sweet this cake is deliciously rich. If you prefer a sweeter taste add a little more sugar.
2 to 2 1/2 cups peeled and thinly sliced apples
1 cup of sugar
Juice and grated rind of 1 lemon
5 tablespoons melted butter
1 cup unbleached flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
Pinch of salt
2 free range eggs
1/4 cup soymilk
- Preheat oven to 180C
- Butter bottom of a 9 inch cake tin deep enough to hold the mixture
- Arrange apple slices on base and sides of tin
- Sprinkle apples with 1/2 cup sugar. Lemon juice and grated rind
- Dust with a tablespoon of flour. Pour melted butter over the apples
- In a bowl combine flours, remaining ¼ cup of sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl beat eggs until light
- Quickly stir in remaining melted tablespoon melted butter and soymilk
- Add liquid ingredients to flour mixture and blend with as few strokes as possible
- Pour mixture into cake tin over apples
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes until golden brown and a straw comes out clean
- Cover with a serving plate and invert
Serves 8 to 10.
Humous is great as either simple dip for rice crackers or piled high on fresh bread. It also tastes fantastic with tender lamb with freshly made tabouleh. Try it for yourself!
340g chickpeas, soaked overnight
2 cloves of garlic, smashed
1 1/2 tablespoons tahini
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Lemon juice to taste (approx 2-3 tablespoons)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Rinse the soaked chickpeas. Cover with water and cook for 1 1/2 hours or until tender. Drain, saving a little of the cooking water.
- In a food processor blend: chickpeas, tahini, garlic and a little of the cooking water. Add the salt, pepper, oil and lemon juice to taste.