Many women suffer from carpal tunnel syndrome during pregnancy. The tingling and numbness in your hand occurs due to pressure on the nerves and tendons often as a result of swelling in your extremities. You may notice it more in the morning, as your wrists tend to accumulate fluid during the night. Hold your hand above your head for a few moments and flex your wrist to encourage lymphatic drainage and improved circulation.
- Kneel on all fours and lean your body forward over your hands to stretch the tendons and nerves. Hold for a 10-20 seconds.
- Raise your hands above your head and wiggle your fingers. Do this exercise regularly particularly if you work on a computer.
- Wearing a splint may help if the problem persists.
- Self help acupressure point Lung 10 is located on the Mound of Venus, the fleshy part at the base of your thumb.
- Acupuncture is also favoured for treating carpal tunnel syndrome.
- Persuade your partner or a friend to massage your hands, wrists and arms to improve blood and nerve flow.
- Try sleeping with your arm on a pillow at night.